Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Goodbye yellow brick road...

My time here at Siem Reap and Angkor Wat has come to an end. Tomorrow I catch the air con (!) bus to Phnom Phen before buggering off to another beach resort on the South coast. Maybe it will be like Bournemouth? I doubt it.

Spent the day with some Buddhist monks yesterday after one of the guys from the guesthouse was invited at Angkor Wat. The monks are all desperate to practice their english, so it was cool chatting to them all. I got an insight into the monastical life and I have to say that underneath the saffron they're just young dudes with all the same interest as any other young dude. Unfortunatley they can't get any. Which means their lives in that respect are exactly the same as most other late teens.

Saw some ruins underneath a waterfall today and some really weird insects and a deadly snake, which some Cambodian guy was kicking around with only his flip flops on... I'm not sure why, maybe just to get him all riled up for the Israeli tourists coming along behind us...

I'm still pretty blown away by what I've seen here, so I can't be really descriptive, plus the Malaria tablets I'm taking make you burn easier in the sun, and now I'm red as a beetroot and have to go and take a cold shower or something. Which is lucky cos that's the only kind of shower you get. However, quick list form so's I remember:

Sandy streets.
Five up on mopeds.
Rotting fish.
People for whom tourists are still a bit of a novelty, who are really friendly.
Angkor beer.
Beer Lao.
No rules of the road.
Come to think of it, no road.
"the australian".
"the columbians".
dirty brown weeds.
dirty brown weed.
The fact that the little girls selling icy water and cokes are the first people that have ever called me "sir", so when they shout out to me I honestly don't think they're talking to me.

Cryptic, huh? probably not.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home