Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Call me Ishmael...

Monday morning we got up at 4.30 in the morning, drove to Tokyo bay with Ben's Housemate Alex and a few of Ben's Japanese friends. We got on a chartered fishing boat and headed out into the bay.

I had never ever been fishing before, and was a little concerned about the whole icky side to it all, but I felt a need to be able to justify eating animals by killing my own dinner so I had to get over my queasiness and get in touch with the caveman inside me.

It was one of the best days I've had in ages, the weather was fine and the sea was calm, it was a really beautiful day. The most disgusting part was sticking the bait on the hooks and the buckets of chum we used to attract the fish. The actual fishing part was disturbingly easy and I caught two Agi (I think they are called horse mackeral) as well as two poor random fish that went back into the sea. Ben caught three fish and Alex caught five including a monster mackeral.

Last night Alex's girlfriend came round and she helped him cook up the fish for dinner. We had them fried and in a kind of Miso stew. It was the nicest fish I have ever eaten. 

Umm... Maybe this story isn't very interesting, I had to write it down so I would remember it. I promise to stick some stupid shit up here soon.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home