Thursday, August 26, 2004

Only to have dreams dashed...

At the hip hop festival we were surrounded by swarms of wasps. There were thousands of them and most of us were stung at least once. I don't know wether it was because of the beer, but their stings weren't so severe, and they seemed reluctanct to use them. It was the first time I had any respect for the wasp. Maybe it was because they showed signs of weakness that I had never experienced amongst their kind. They weren't necessarily the heartless stinging machines that I had once believed. They were lazy and drunk and for the most part kept themselves to themselves. It was good.

Darrick and John Massive told us about an experiment they had made on a wasp earlier in the day. They had drowned a wasp in beer until it was completely dead, then laid it in the sun in a pile of salt and apparently, after 20 minutes it was completely revived, the lazarus of the wasp world. They said they'd do it again for us , and drowned another wasp and laid it out on a bench in a pile of salt. I took a picture and then we waited...

We never went back to see if the wasp had come back from the dead. I don't know why, maybe we were too drunk or stoned or whatever, but I know we didn't give it a second thought.

Much later, like, days later we were talking about the wasp, well, someone Idly said they wondered what the wasp was up to and Darrick said that it had all been a wind up to see how long we'd sit around watching a dead wasp in a pile of salt. It's a shame 'cos I'd like to believe that things like that could happen, but I guess the joke was wasted on us as we almost immediatley forgot about it.






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mon frere,

I'm afraid it's somewhat of an urban myth. It DOES work, but the insect in question (more sommonly a bluebottle) cannot be allowed to COMPLETELY drown. Douse it thoroughly and keep it under (you'd be amazed how much punishment they can take before popping all six clogs), preferably in water rather than beer. It'll eventually lose consciousness (if whatever intellect a fly possesses can truly be called "consciousness", but that debate is for another time). Take it out very carefully, lay it on absorbant towel surrounded by salt. The salt absorbs the excess moisture, which is all that's causing the insect any problems - they breathe through their skin, so they haven't "drowned" (i.e lungs full of water) per se, they are just temporarilty starved of oxygen. Once the moisture has left their skin, it's up and atom for the resurrected fly. QED.

btw, don't be fooled by those wasps, they ARE bastads.

MZA

1:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I once saved a drownd spider. I set it's body on a dry surface and some time later it was gone. That night it came to me and sat on my shoulder. I brushed it off before I realized it was the same spider (it had a mangled leg). It had traveled to whole length of the house and a staircase. After I'd brushed it off, it came back and just sat on the side of my bed. I found a good place in my attic for it and placed it there. I don't know what happened after that.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Cheers MZA! We did punish it somewhat by shaking it around for a full ten minutes in premium Czech Pilsner... I think it was way too dead for any sort of revival.

Mat, That's a beautiful story. :)

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure is!

Wasps are most definitely cnuts, but I've always been ambivalent about spiders - not too keen on 'em, but they don't hurt me so while they stay out of my way, I'm happy to live and let live... but I think you've just converted me. That's the most tenaciously devoted spider I've ever heard of! It's like the Greyfriars Bobby of the arachnid world!

I'm truly touched...

MZA

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home